Friday, December 28, 2007

BHG courtesy of ACG

I missed Christmas on the internet--but here's a Belated Holiday Greeting courtesy of FUNNY FILMS #3, Jan-Feb 1950, published by American Comics Group. Is it by Dan Gordon? I think it is.
funny_films_strip
It's not often a comic cover includes a lip-reading sequence! I like that he goes for "X-mas" not Christmas. Makes it funnier somehow, though it may have been to simplify things. (He'd have to maybe use two panels/frames to get "christ" across.)

I was interested to learn on a well-annotated Wikipedia page that "X-mas" ain't no modern-day, commercial, secular-loving, Jesus-hating abbreviation of Christmas! It's actually a common European abbreviation dating back to at least the 1500s. So you can love Jesus AND write the word Christmas more quickly! EVERYBODY WINS!

And here's the full cover:
funny_films_small

To see more work by Dan Gordon, go to:
John Kricfalusi's blog
The ASIFA-Hollywood Animation Archive
Sherm Cohen's blog, Cartoon Snap
MORE at Cartoon Snap

See you after New Year's!

6 comments:

Sherm said...

That's what happens when you let animators draw comic books...sneaking in their little mouth charts every chance they get! This is the first time I've seen that sort of thing in a comic~! And I couldn't help myself--I found myself mouthing the syllables right along with Blunderbunny. Thanks for the joy!

Chris Duffy said...

"Mouth charts"! I kept thinking there must be an animation term that applied. You schooled me, Cohen!

The "Funny Films" covers would make a great gallery. I also love the splash panels in every story showing kids watching the "movie"--the muted coloring of the audience always looks purty.

Happy New Year, in advance.

JohnGreenArt said...

Did he swallow his teeth right before "-as"?

Duffs said...

John, you're right! I didn't notice that before.

David King said...

I love the left hand of the dog, pointing to himself--great drawing!

Jay said...

Two panels to get Christ across?

Nonsense. He already HAS one! And getting him another one would kinda be in poor taste.
--Jay